Saturday, August 04, 2007

Elvis Presley - 30th Anniversary Of His Death

August 16, 1977 was a sad day for those of us who loved Elvis.

On August 17, 1977, I was pregnant with my first child. I came home from work, put my feet up and watched the news of his death. Crying, because a golden era in Rock and Roll had ended and a legend. the King of Rock and Roll had died.

I was a big fan of his from the time I was 8 and my older brother started listening to Rock and Roll and dancing on Club 6 (BC's version of American Bandstand).

Elvis was my first teenybopper crush :).


Aside from the fact that Elvis was the most gorgeous man on the planet, he produced songs and music, and had an energy, that rocked your soul.

My fan loyalty was for more than just his music, which was great. I also loved him for his down to earth, grass roots personality.

He was real, not perfect, not just an icon, and wasn't afraid to share that with his fans.

His 68 Comeback Special was the best example of that. You could see that he loved that closeness with his fans, they were people to him, not just a "market share" and a source of income.

Elvis had a passion for what he did, a vision, and a desire to share that love, that passion, that vision with the world.

It was the combination of an amazing natural talent and that passion that won him the hearts of millions of people around the world yesterday and today.


In his personal life, he was a kind and generous man. He felt a responsibility to give back to a world that had been generous to him.

He was one of the greats of our time and he lives! In our hearts.

Official Elvis website

No comments: